SECU: People Helping People
The State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation has invited NCSSM to name one outstanding senior as the recipient of the People Helping People Scholarship valued at $10,000 over four years at one of the other sixteen constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System--see flyer attached.
The award is intended to recognize the individual in the 2019 NCSSM graduating class who best exemplifies the “people helping people” philosophy of leadership, integrity, and community involvement. The student selected should not be the recipient of other large scholarships.
Criteria for the award, which will be paid in installments of $1250 over eight consecutive fall/spring semesters, are as follows:
- Is either an SECU member or is eligible for membership through a parent/guardian.
- Is a senior at a North Carolina public high school who has been accepted to one of the 16 constituent campuses of the University of North Carolina System.
- Is a US citizen and a resident of North Carolina under NCGS 116-143.1, and is eligible for in-state tuition.
- Identifies a financial need as determined by submission of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Best exemplifies the “People Helping People” philosophy of State Employees’ Credit Union, and has demonstrated leadership, excellence of character, integrity, and community involvement.
- Demonstrates scholastic achievement with a maintained 2.5 or higher unweighted grade point average on a 4.0 scale, and may be deserving of financial aid.
- Will use the scholarship to pay for full-time undergraduate student tuition and fees.
- Agrees to continue as a full-time student in good standing with the same university for up to eight (8) consecutive fall/spring semesters payable at $1,250 per semester. Scholarships are not transferable without prior approval of SECU Foundation.
- A written appeal for transfer must be made to the SECU Foundation prior to transfer.
- No transfers will be allowed to a university outside of the UNC System.
- Any gap in active enrollment will result in non-eligibility for funding for each semester missed.
- Is not a Board Director, employee, or immediate family member of an employee of State Employees’ Credit Union or the SECU Foundation. (Note: For the purpose of this scholarship program, immediate family is defined as spouse, parents, siblings and children of an employee or persons living in the same residence and maintaining a single economic unit.)
Preference will be given to students whose parents or guardians and family members are public sector employees (state, local or federal government; public health; public education) who live and work in North Carolina. Additionally, preference will be given to those majoring in public service degree programs (such as Public Health, Education, Public Administration, and Public Policy).
All graduating seniors meeting the stated criteria will be eligible for consideration. NCSSM can submit the name of only one recipient and an alternate who will be awarded the scholarship if the initial recipient declines the SECU award, receives a full scholarship, or chooses to attend a university other than in the UNC System.
Students who wish to be considered for selection by the NCSSM Scholarship Nominating Committee should submit the SECU People Helping People Scholarship Application - NCSSM Nomination Form no later than 8:00 am on Thursday, March 14. The scholarship nominating committee will notify the recipient and alternate the week of March 26.
For further information visit the Scholarships page of the SECU Foundation website (https://www.ncsecufoundation.org/Scholarships.html).