Applying for scholarships and financial aid can be rewarding, but it does take a lot of time, energy, and effort. So, take time each week to research and apply for scholarships of interest to you. By using the checklist, we hope you will find the money you need to attend the college of your choice. Remember, while this checklist is a great place to start, you should check with each college to which you are applying and make sure you fulfill the college and scholarship deadline requirements and complete additional applications for scholarships and financial aid!
How do I start?
- Schedule time each week to work on scholarships. Select the day(s) and time(s) and put them on your calendar.
- Create and update a personal spreadsheet with scholarship information:
- Scholarship Name
- Application Deadline
- Requirements (Recs, Transcripts, etc.)
- Progress Notes
- Date Submitted
Where can I find scholarships?
- Contact or visit your home high school about scholarship opportunities for which you are eligible even though you attend NCSSM.
- Check your home high school website for local scholarship listings, if applicable.
- Search the internet for scholarships in your home city/town.
- Talk to family and friends and research companies and organizations in your home area to learn of local scholarships.
College Specific Scholarships
- Check college websites for scholarship and financial aid information. Decide which scholarships to which you want to apply.
- Submit scholarship applications, if required.
- Some college scholarships require undergraduate admissions applications be submitted by a specific deadline. Be sure to submit your undergraduate application by this deadline to be considered.
- Apply for college specific scholarships even if you are not completely sure you will apply to certain colleges.
- Log in to http://connections.naviance.com/ncsciencemath. Click the “Colleges” tab, and then scroll down to the bottom to search for scholarships.
- Go through the Scholarship List, compiled by Ms. Hackney and your PCCs.
- Try the Scholarship Match option to find scholarships, which only takes a few minutes.
State and National Searches
- http://www.fastweb.com/ asks you to describe yourself, and the website will automatically find scholarships that best match your interests.
- http://www.cfnc.org/paying/schol/info_schol.jsp#schol provides a grant and scholarship search for state and national scholarships.
- http://www.zinch.com/scholarships/search offers personalized matches to over $1.9 billion in scholarships.
- https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search helps students find scholarships, other financial aid and internships from more than 2,200 programs, totaling nearly $6 billion.
- http://www.aie.org/scholarships/ allows students to search their database of over 15,000 scholarships.
- http://www.studentscholarshipsearch.com/ provides students and parents with a free searchable database of college scholarships and grants. No registration is required and new scholarships are updated daily
- Check your emails from Ms. Hackney and Dr. Teachey regarding nominated scholarship opportunities and contact/apply by the deadline date.