The Park Scholars Program at NC State University has invited NCSSM to nominate up to ten members of the senior class for the Park Scholarship. This four-year scholarship is valued at up to $109,500 in-state and up to $200,000 out-of-state, including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, travel, and personal expenses. It also includes grants to fund professional and personal enrichment experiences, such as research projects, service activities, and conferences in the United States and abroad; individual mentoring; leadership retreats; experiential learning opportunities; and civic engagement initiatives.
The mission of the Park Scholars program is to bring exceptional students to NC State, based on outstanding accomplishments and potential in scholarship, leadership, service, and character. The program develops and supports Park Scholars in these areas, preparing them for lifelong contributions to the campus, state, nation, and world. To be eligible for the scholarship, a candidate must show evidence of outstanding achievement in each of the four selection criteria:
- Scholarship: You show a desire to master subjects and seek learning experiences outside the classroom; take the most challenging courses available at their high schools; have excellent academic standing and strong standardized test scores; and are curious.
- Leadership: You assume formal leadership roles such as team captain, student body president, and other elected officer positions in the school or community, OR show exceptional success or aptitude in endeavors such as Science Olympiad or fields such as music, art, creative writing, or mathematics;
- listen well and influence and support others by setting good examples; and take risks and champion new, original ideas.
- Service: You show concern for others by identifying needs and working to meet them; and find a way to improve life for those around them.
- Character: You set positive examples for others and have the personal fortitude and integrity to do what is right, even when they are in the minority; and demonstrate the highest levels of integrity, honesty, and conscientiousness.
Before you begin your online nomination application, please read over the details and specific aspects of the four criteria and the program.
To be considered for nomination by the NCSSM Scholarship Nominating Committee, interested seniors must submit an online nomination application no later than 12:00 noon Monday, September 16, 2019.
Please be sure to read the application carefully and follow all instructions. Late applications will not be considered. We encourage you to copy the questions into a Google or Word Document while you write and revise your responses.
The Park Scholarship also invites Self-Endorsement for those students not selected for nomination by their school committee. Since NCSSM could reasonably endorse many more seniors for the Park each year, please consider that possibility after the Scholarship Nominating Committee has announced its decision in late September.
IMPORTANT: If requested during the formal application process, all students who are applying for the Park Scholarship - either for NCSSM nomination or directly - should enter Jennifer Betz (firstname.lastname@example.org) as the Counselor. Academic Programs, not the Counseling Office, will complete the required School Report and will provide your transcript. Please do not request a transcript from Naviance.