Referral Coordination

NCSSM counselors provide mainly crisis intervention, consultation and individual counseling on a short-term basis. NCSSM counselors cannot be used for ongoing individual or family therapy since their time is divided among 680 students. If extended treatment is needed, a referral to an off-campus counselor will be made.

1. If you have health insurance, start by calling your insurer's information number. This is a good time to ask for clarification of your insurance benefits. Here are some questions you might ask:

  • Do I have mental health benefits on my insurance policy? Therapy coverage can vary greatly between insurance plans.

  • What is my co-pay for each session?

  • Is there a deductible that needs to be met?

  • Is pre-authorization required and if so, may I obtain it before I meet with my therapist?

  • Ask for phone numbers of professionals in the local area who accept your insurance plan. Try to get at least three names and numbers, just in case.

  • If you need help with a specific condition such as addiction or an eating disorder, ask for doctors with the subspecialty you need.

  • What services are covered by my plan? (individual therapy, couples' therapy, medication management)

2. You may also search Psychology Today's website for local therapists:

If you do not have private health insurance, you should refer to this link:,

*Parents/guardians must be a part of this process because they are responsible for the insurance/payment.

Therapists 2019-2020
Psychological Services for Medicaid Subscribers